Saturday, May 5, 2007

Away from Home

Here we are, somewhere in Florida about eight long hours from home, beginning our week of taking care of the grandkids. This morning Matthew, who has autism, and I decided to go for a bike ride...Jay would not go with us because he was afraid one of his friends would seeing him wearing a bike helmet, which apparently would not be acceptable.

Matthew, on the other hand, has no problem with that...it is part of his routine. We discovered awhile back that he was quite enthusiastic about riding my three-wheeler when he visited...up until that point he had not been able to ride a bike. So now he has his own...something I highly recommend if you happen to have a child with autism who has trouble managing a two wheeler. Anyway, last fall I 'graduated' to a three-wheeler after I injured my knee and had replacement knee surgery, and have stuck with it since then. So when I tried to get on a really modern mountain bike, the kind with the straight across handlebars and hand brakes on TOP of the handle bars, it was somewhat of a challenge...as long as I didn't have to stop suddenly.

So we peddled around the neighborhood, taking our time and checking out a few things on the way...good experience, but it has convinced me to stay with my three-wheeler once we are home again.

GOOD NEWS--things are progressing! Last night I got the first copyedit for KNOWING JOSEPH. I have started going through it, and so far, so good...only a couple of minor changes...except for the parts I REALLY would like to rewrite...but I think we are past that point...amazing how our perspective changes, the more we write...maybe I really am improving my skills.

Onward and upward!

No comments: